Solar Water Pump - Village Katho Sama and Bheel Tharparkar
Location: Tando Muhammad Khan, Sindh, Pakistan
Through the donation of Yasmeen Patel and Shaheen Hira, two sisters from HDFNA, and the work of Village Development Organization and community members, Village Katho Sama and Bheel Tharparkar now have access to an uninterrupted supply of water thanks to a Solar Water Pump.
Accessibility of water was one of the first priorities the community identified when HDF came to the area. Women would normally spend an average of 3 hours pulling water from dug wells before the implementation of a water pump. Today, approximately 1,032 people, including over 508 adults, 524 children, and 810 animals all receive water from this facility. Thanks to this project, life has changed for these residents.
In Village Katho Bheel there were no street lights to light the way to the water pump, so 6 solar operated street lights and 40 solar hand lights have also been provided to the village population.
Thanks to HDF donors, the Solar Water Pump Project has achieved the following objectives:
- 1032 people and 810 animals have access to water
- Promoted participatory development approach by engaging community to increase the access of the people to safe drinking water through the installation of a solar water pump.
- Improved health and hygiene of the people by providing drinking water and raising awareness among them
- Reduced absenteeism and drop-out among school-aged children expected through provision of drinking water at doorstep.
- Empowered women by providing safe drinking water through alternative energy.
Formation of Village Development Organizations in village Katho Sama & Village Katho Bheel:
- ToP signing with community groups
- Formation of Water Users Committees in villages Katho Sama & Katho Bheel
- Installation of two Solar powered submersible water pumps
- Construction of two overhead water tanks
- Installation of 2000 feet of water supply lead line.
- Water Quality Tests
- Installation of 6 Solar Street Lights in village Katho Bheel
- Distribution of 40 Solar Hand Lights in Village Katho Bheel
- Awareness raising sessions with the community on health and hygiene and gender sensitization
- Formation of Operation and Maintenance Committees in villages Katho Sama and Katho Bheel
- Selection of the operator for running solar pumps in village Katho Sama and Katho Bheel
- Introduced a clause in terms of Partnership with the community that parents will send all those children to school who used to fetch water from dug wells.
- Conducted awareness-raising workshops on the importance of education with the community.
- Ensured female representation in the Water User Committee
- Conducted health and hygiene sessions with female